Excursions within the borough of Ascheberg

The Castle of Westerwinkel

The castle of Westerwinkel is one of the well-preserved, medieval knights´castles in Münsterland. It is mentioned in records as early as 1225 A.D. The early baroque water- castle, surrounded by an English-style, landscaped park, was built between 1663 and 1668 A.D. The present buildings have remained the same for about 300 years. The owner of the castle, Graf Merveldt, is in residence for only part of the year.

The park, which is an ideal place for walking and leisure activities, also has a generously- proportioned 18-hole golf course.

Notice in advance required for groups.


Itlingen Castle

This old manor house is mentioned in records as early as 1300 A.D. The oldest parts are the central section and the left wing with its round corner tower. The complex was completed by Johann Conrad Schlaun around 1755 A.D. He achieved the symmetry, required by the baroque period, by adding the right wing with its corresponding tower.

The castle has a Knights´Hall with a stuccoed ceiling designed by von Schlaun. In the vestibule there is a sandstone fireplace dating back to the year 1582 A.D. and in the annex, a large coat of arms from the period around 1700 A.D.

(May only be viewed from the grounds.)


Davert

Davert is a huge area of woodland and marshland covering large parts of 5 boroughs. In earlier times it was almost impassable and whoever got lost there was very fortunate if he managed to find his way back home safely. Annette von Droste-Hülshoff, the famous local poetress, described the sinister Davert and its ghosts in her poem "Der Knabe im Moor".

A walk along the first Westphalian St. James Way

This is a special experience. The route is 190 km long. The first part of the route, passing the towns of Lengerich and Ladbergen on the way to Münster, roughly follows the path commemorating the historical Peace of Westphalia. Signs bearing a yellow scallop shell on a blue background point the way from Münster via Hiltrup and Rinkerode to Herbern, where pilgrims can collect the official pilgrim stamp in the foyer of the St. Benedict´s church.

From Herbern the path continues via Werne, Lünen and Dortmund to Wuppertal, where the path joins the Rhenish St. James´way.


The Castle Tower

The castle tower is part of Davensberg Castle, which was built around 1263 A.D. However, the castle itself was completely destroyed except for the castle tower and the chapel. The tower is 13 metres high and has walls which are 2 metres thick. In the past wrongdoers were manacled to the walls in the 6-metre- deep dungeon. Nowadays, the tower is the home of the museum of local history with its torture chamber. The castle tower in Davensberg forms the gateway to the Davert local recreation area, situated between Münster and Davensberg.


The Castle Chapel of St. AnnaThe Castle Chapel of St. Anna

The castle chapel of St. Anna was built at the same time as Davensberg castle in 1250 A.D. Later, the castle itself was completely destroyed, so a request was made to convert the chapel, which had fallen into disrepair, into a church. Today visitors can view Johann Brabender´s famous winged altar and paintings by Hermann Tom Ring.

Official opening times: daily from 7.30 a.m. - 7.00 p.m.


St. Lambert´s Church

St. Lambert´s Gothic-style church was built in 1524 A.D. In 1740 A.D the baroque chancel, the work of the Münster master builder, Schlaun, was added. The tower is 80 metres high.

One of the church´s treasures is the Resplendent Madonna endowed to the church by Agnes Kösters, who in 1742 A.D got lost in the Davert and vowed to donate something special to the church, if she found her way home again. She kept her promise and arranged for the Resplendent Madonna to be made.

Official opening times: daily from 7.30 a.m. - 7.00 p.m.


St. Benedicts´s Church

St. Benedicts´Church was built in 1665 A.D. in Gothic style. In 1877 A.D its outer appearance was changed to some extent by Romanesque and Gothic additions. Since 2007 A.D. it is possible for pilgrims to obtain the official stamp of the Baltic St. James´s way in the foyer at the back of the church.

Official opening times: daily from 7.30 a.m. - 7.00 p.m.


Byink House

Byink House near Davensberg used to be a water-castle built around 1480 A.D. on two islands in a moat. It was the seat of the masters of Ascheberg. Today, the 400-year-old socalled Bauhaus, a Westphalian farmhouse built in Renaissance style, and the gatehouse from the same period are still standing. The Baroness of Beverförde lives in the gate house.

(May only be viewed from the grounds.)


Online booking
AdultsChildren