Vischering Castle is one of the most important water castles in Westphalia. It was built 1271 A.D. as the seat of the Bishop of Münster, Gerhard von der Mark and as a defence against the Lords of Lüdinghausen. The original medieval complex, consisting of the main castle and outer bailey, built on two islands, is still visible today. Its present appearance is the result of its conversion from a primarily defence structure to a dwelling place, which began in the 16 th century. In 1521 A.D. a fire destroyed large parts of the castle which were subsequently rebuilt. The Droste zu Vischering family, who have owned the castle for generations, has leased the castle to the Coesfeld district authorities. They have established a Münsterland Museum there which includes a permanent exhibition for children entitled " Knights, Knaves and Horses". They also have art exhibitions. Special highlights for visitors to Vischering Castle are the medieval banquets.
Opening times: April to October 10.00 am to 12.30 pm and 1.30 pm - 5.30 pm.
November to March 10.00 am to 12.30pm and 1.30 pm - 4.30 pm.
Closed on Mondays
Lüdinghausen Castle is situated in the centre of Lüdinghausen in the immediate vicinity of the town hall. Today there is a splendid park within the original system of the fortifications. Built in the 12 th century, it was converted in the 16 th century into a typical Renaissance-style castle under the supervision of Gottfried von Raesfeld. Even today the south wing of the inner courtyard, with its richly- decorated, windowed gable facade and its magnificent coats of arms, bear witness to the desire for representation at that time.
Opening times: April to October 10.00 am to 12.30 pm and 1.30 pm - 5.30pm.
November to March 10.00 am to 12.30 pm and 1.30 pm - 4.30 pm.
Closed on Mondays
The Prinzipalmarkt (principal market), "Die gute Stube" (the best address) in Münster was first mentioned as a market street as in 12th century records. Both its structure and the number of buildings have remained almost the same since the 15th century. Largely destroyed by bombs in 1943 A.D. , the principal market was rebuilt, fortunately in the original style, with the help of the citizens of Münster.
St. Lamberti´s church, built as a town and market church in the late Gothic period, was financed by the merchants of Münster. The church became very famous during the time of the Anabaptists when the corpses of their leaders, Jan van Leiden, Bernd Krechting and Bernd Knipperdolling were hung for all to see in iron cages at the top of the church tower after being tortured and executed.
Today, after dark, the "Drei Irrlichter" , ("three" will-o´-the-wisps"), created by Lothar Baumgarten as part of a sculpture project in 1987, can be seen burning in the cages. They represent three souls or inner flames unable to find peace.
The Venner Moor is a former peat bog near the town of Venne. It is the last existing marshlandin the Davert nature reserve with an area of about 148 ha. At its centre there are some former peat deposits which are in the process of renaturalisation.
The area is the home of several endangered species e.g. the mole cricket and the moor frog. Numerous kinds of dragonflies can also be found as well as the poisonous but timid adder.
For tourists there are footpaths and cycle tracks. Visitors can park in one of the two peripheral car parks.